Am I Nuts?

I’ve been a bit quiet this year… Well with my blogging, but all with good reason. I decided in late December 2012 that I would complete a Graduate Diploma in Primary Teaching in 2013 while continuing to work full time. Nuts? Yes, I know!

Although I have a strong teaching philosophy from my early childhood background I wanted to know more about the primary curriculum. Fortunately, because I have experience in the primary sector as an ORS teacher, it has not all been completely new to me. I have been able to build on my prior knowledge.

I am currently on teaching practice and that itself was slightly weird to begin with. The office manager thought I was a reliever so asked me for my MOE number (which I have as a registered teacher), the reading recovery teacher is the ORS teacher for one of my moderate needs students at a different school and one of the parents is the education support worker for one of my students. It seemed that I couldn’t just ditch my “professional” hat to be the student teacher. I’ve engaged in a professional discussion with the Principal’s mentor about e-portfolios, discussed literacy in early childhood with another teacher and attended an education rally with the Principal.

It has turned out to be quite an interesting experience!