Whanaungatanga

Key ideas around whanaungatanga:

• relationship through shared experiences
  • process of getting to know each other (whakawhanaungatanga)
  • associated values
  • belonging
  • connectedness
  • collective responsibility
The discussion today focused on how we look after our students, how we work as a team and how we use a holistic and integrated model of how we work with students and families.
I shared some key ideas from an article by Jenny Ritchie and Cheryl Rau called “Enacting a whakawhanaungatanga approach in early childhood education” (Early Childhood Folio 10: 2006). This is one of the first articles I read as a Teacher that made me go “ahhhh…” there is the connection between my values and Te Ao Māori.
I read out my favourite bit:
“Foremost was the effort by educators to generate a sense of whanaungatanga, so that all members of the centre community felt included as part of a caring collective with common aspirations and values and shared responsibility, inspired by educators demonstrating their willingness to identify and support the needs of all members of that collective.”
I always think of early childhood centres and schools as being the “hub” of their community. They can have huge impact on the socio-cultural values of the wider community. Surely if children learn to look after each other in these communities this will transfer over into who they grow up to be?
Powerful stuff.
Published in: Uncategorized on September 20, 2011 at6:00 pm Comments (0)
Tags: , , ,

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://leannestubbing.edublogs.org/2011/09/20/whanaungatanga/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.